Friday 23 April 2010

West Highland Way



Arrochar Alps from Inversnaid Hotel

In August 2009 I decided to try and do the unthinkable, walk somewhere that wasn't the bus stop or the Off-Licence! Trouble was I had 12 years of Scottish living behind me and a terrible fitness level. Undeterred, after all it was only walking, I thought I'd give the West Highland Way a bash how hard could a 95 mile walk be . . . .

The West Highland Way is Scotlands most famous and trodden long distance path. Your starting point is just outside Glasgow at Milngavie (for those who don't know it's pronounced "mulguy") with your final destination point 95miles away in Fort William.

Most walkers attempt the walk over 7 days, I roped my friend in and we both agreed we could probably only stand each others company for about 5 days so we aimed to do around 20 miles a day. Big massive mistake.

The first days walking would take us to Rowardennan, a mere 26 miles. The first stages, enjoyable as they are are not the wild walk we had hoped for. Head through Mugdock Wood until the views open up and you can see the Campsie Fells and Craigallian Loch on the right, follow the signposts and head over to the tree covered hill called Dumgoyach.

There are some standing stones around there but unfortunately I couldn't see them for looking at them! head along the railway line and you'll soon see the Glengoyne Distillery, a good place to stop for refreshments. Follow the path and head toward Drymen. We stopped for lunch in a local pub and it was there that I realised my legs had decided they didn't like me anymore. After I coaxed my legs back into a working state we headed along to Garadhban Forest, a sterile coniferous forest with extensive felling. Interesting to see a sign detailing plans to re-introduce indigenous trees to the area.

 
Once you're through this fairly dull section you soon approach Conic hill on the shores of Loch Lomond. In itself Conic Hill isn't that bad but after a 17 mile walk it absolutely killed me. On the way down I could feel my knee was opening up and it was at this point I started to doubt my ability to finish. When you reach the road follow it until you get to Rowardennan campsite.

Day 2, we woke up but our legs again went on strike. After about an hour we were very slowly able to start moving. The second day was basically right round the shores of Loch Lomond, round the shores of a Loch . . . has to be nice and flat doesn't it ?

Not likely. There are two paths you can take and we were advised to ironically take the high road. Which at points was very high. After a few hours my knee was really painful and slowing me down. When we got to Inversnaid we bumped into a rugby physio who kindly checked out my knee and informed me "You've got a couple of more miles before it pops".
It was at that point we remembered there was a bar at the hotel ! unfortunately, we got too comfy and missed the last ferry across the loch as we needed to get the bus to Beinglas campsite. So, we were left with one option. Taxi. Which cost £95. Still there was a bar at the campsite . . . .

I fully intend to try this again next year and I fully intend to stay away from the bar , until the last day of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment