Sunday 20 March 2011

Glen Finglas


Gaelic meaning : Glen of Finlay the Grey
Ascent : 1,190 feet
Walk distance : 16.5 miles
OS Map : The Trossachs
Difficulty rating : 3

With the "good" weather finally starting to make an appearance it's high time to get back to regular walking. As I've done so little walking this year I thought I'd go for a nice and simple walk through a nice wee glen. Quite wrong, I picked a monster 17 mile walk with a 600 metre climb half way through, fine if I was in anyway fit but as I'm not, it was knackering but a very enjoyable day I had.

Glen Finglas is sandwiched between Callander and the little village of Brig O Turk in the Trossachs. Another Glen that's been imortalised in poem when Sir Walter Scott penned Glenfinlas or Lord Ronald's Coronach in 1803

"O so it fell, that on a day, To rouse the red deer from their den, The Chiefs have ta'en their distant way, And scour'd the deep Glenfinlas glen." - Sir Walter Scott 1803

This walk is commonly reffered to as The Mell Circuit as you climb to a bealach which circles Meall Cala, known as The Mell.


Park at the large Glen Finglas car park just off the A821 and follow the path across the foot bridge into the forest. There is a noticeboard with some history of the area and turny things that I think are supposed to play sounds when turned, didn't work when I tried them though ! When in the forest turn left up the hill until you come to the ruins of the Drippan Farmstead (signposted), a small township, complete with watermill, kiln and numerous outbuildings, still in use until the 19th century.


The path is excellent, gravel, road and dirt track for the whole way and is very easy going underfoot.


Follow the path as it winds up the hill, taking in the views over Loch Venachar.


I walked this route twice over two weekends, the first being quite wet so the path was littered with various waterfalls and streams.


Eventually the path curves round the base of Lendrick Hill and down to the dam on Lendrick water and on to Glen Finglas road (private road but you are ok to walk it).


The path runs around the bottom of Ben Ledi and on towards Glen Finglas and Meall Cala, you'll soon reach an fallen log that provides a great spot to rest and soak up your surroundings (various markers point out landmarks here also, handy !)


When you leave here continue on the path until it forks, head of on the path to the right along the wonderful Glen Meann.


It's from here that the walk really started to show it's true character. From here you can see the widing path as it heads along the Glen and up the Bealach at the end.


On both occasions I was there I didn't pass another walker, cyclist, lost tourist or living soul and walking along the side of Glen Meann you really feel like you are in a different time, the only company I had was the highland cows dotted along the slopes of Benvane. Be aware that I didn't get a mobile phone signal here, so tread carefully.


On my second visit the weather was perfect, no wind, clear sky's and warm temperatures, perfect for walking. At the end of Glen Meann the path rises steeply up to the high point (600m) of the walk. After 8+ miles of walking this was a bit tougher than I expected, particularly as I took along my new 65+10 litre rucksack which was packed full, so I took my time on this part.


You get teasing little glimpses of the surroundings you are in without the "money shot" vista afforded when you climb the usual Munro, not a criticism however.


When the high point is reached, take a break. The way back is long and tiring but fantastic as you head along the side of Glen Finglas then back the route you came.


Do take plenty of food and water, it took me around 7 hours on a hot day to complete and I was running low on water after getting through nearly 4 litres,. I can't recommend this walk highly enough however, it is a hidden gem of a place and I can't wait to get back there. if you have a spare day and can make it to Glen Finglas then do so. Highly recommended but do not underestimate the length of the walk.


Look out for the frogs though, there's loads of them ! 

 

 Here's the elevation :


And (part of) the route taken :



No comments:

Post a Comment